Sunday, August 14, 2022

8/14/2022


8/14/2022 - This hymn was our entrance him at church this morning. It was very comforting to me. The verse "Fear not, I am with thee; O be not dismayed! For I am thy God, and will still give thee aide; I'll strengthen thee, and cause thee to stand, upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand. This Verse struck home for me and what I have going on in my life right now.

 

8/14/2022 - Todays gospel according to Luke12:49-56 is the only place to my knowledge in the Gospels where Jesus admits he could cause adversity. From reading this gospel and listening to Rev. Patsy Barhams sermon I derived that Jesus is warning us that there will be division among people about his teachings. Patsy sited Matthew which I am so glad she did. (See the next post)


Rev. Patsy G. Barham sited Matthew 10:34-39 this morning during her sermon. I am glad she did. Although I think Patsy was dissuaded from using Matthews version because he discusses a sword. (Patsy G. Barham has always been a peacemaker since I met her when I was in the first grade.) Matthew does say that Christ stated "I have not come to bring peace, but a sword of division between belief and unbelief." which for me is in a context that I understand a bit better.


8/14/2022
My epiphany on this morning’s sermon. The gospel was taken from Luke 12:49-56. It is the only place in the gospels that I know that Jesus sews division. I personally do not think Luke did a good job putting what Jesus was saying into an understandable context. Rev Patsy Barham did site Matthew 10: 34-39 which I think puts the idea into better context. I think you must read on in Matthew to verses 10:40-42,

34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn
“‘a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’[c]
37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.
40 “Anyone who welcomes you welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. 41 Whoever welcomes a prophet as a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward, and whoever welcomes a righteous person as a righteous person will receive a righteous person’s reward. 42 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.”

One can interpret this verse to mean that Christ brings a sword to divide those who believe and those that do not. Rev. Barham went on to state in her sermon that when she was growing up that one held Sunday in special reverence, they did their chores on Saturday so that Sunday could be used to share the message of Christ with not only their church members, but their families. She went on to say that today’s society has gotten away from holding Sunday in reverence to God.

My Epiphany from all this was that we as Christians have gotten away from reverencing our faith or defending our beliefs. One goes on platforms like Facebook and sees others expressing their ideas that Christianity is a cult, or a radical sect. Christianity like any religion is only as radical as you choose to make it. I have many friends that speak of taking pride in who they are and what they stand for, but only in very few do I see them taking pride in their belief in God. Most of my Gay brothers and sisters have allowed organized religion to detract from their personal beliefs. They will become very militant in their views on Pride, and acceptance, but have allowed Religions that do not accept them to move them away from God. I don’t feel that is how it works. Even Gay Christians are responsible for finding God. There is such a thing as a “Gay Christian” being Gay only defines one part of who you are. Your belief in God defines another. It IS POSSIBLE to be both. Your relationship with God is YOUR relationship with God. Your upbringing does play a part in your relationship with God, But I see most of my Gay brothers and Sisters demand that others keep an open mind to their lifestyles, but then I also see them close their minds to God because organized religion does not acknowledge or accept their lifestyles.
I will no longer do that. If Christ was sent as Matthew 10:34-42 says to divide families, then I say here and now I will submit to this sword. While I respect “EVERYONES” views and their beliefs I will no long not express my views on being a Christian. I am a follower of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. I do not need an organized religion to tell me if I am right or wrong. GOD KNOWS if I am right or wrong. I need no human to tell me anything else. The longer I have lived the more I have learned that my God is “MY GOD”! From this day forward I choose to stand up for myself, and my Christian beliefs. IF you respect me as I respect you this should not be a problem. However, if you have a problem with my beliefs then I invite you to unfollow me like you have unfollowed other things and peoples you don’t believe or trust. I choose to put my Trust in the teachings of Jesus Christ.

I Love You All,
Chris McLaughlin See less

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cheers

Cheers