Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Caroline de Bassano, Marquise d'Espeuilles


 Caroline de Bassano, Marquise d'Espeuilles

John Singer Sargent

Date: 1884

Style: Realism

Genre: portrait

Media: oil, canvas


Paint me with a white laced dressShimmering in the light Paint me with cream roses pinned in my hair and sewed in my dressPaint me with a chocolate brown shawl and pearl earrings clipped in my ears Paint me beautiful. The force of the conventions of decorum and taste may clearly be witnessed in John singer Sargent's glittering, life-sized society portrait Caroline de Bassano, Marquise d'Espeuilles. Sargent's painting of the marquise is designed to register her position in society as a titled aristocrat. However, in place of the imposing setting usually referenced in grand-manner portraiture, Sargent isolates the marquise in an undefined space, perhaps in order to render her beauty as timeless.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cheers

Cheers